View our ships sailing on the
Wadden Sea and IJsselmeer
The clipper Waterwolf was built in 1899 in Capelle aan de IJssel under the name ‘Jacomina Maria’ and served as a cargo ship for the Dutch & Belgian inland waterways. In the early 1930s, she was converted to a motor vessel and the masts disappeared.
In those days, the Waterwolf sailed from ‘Sas van Gent’ to the border of Belgium with, among others, flax and hay. At the end of the 1950s, the trend was to lengthen these ships in order to be able to transport even more freight, and a heavier engine was installed. The Waterwolf, then called ‘Juma’, of 36 metres was lengthened to 42 metres and sailed not only in Belgium and the Netherlands but also on the Rhine towards Germany. The ship was rebuilt several times and served as a freighter until 1997.
This is how the Waterwolf came to us
The Lotus was built in 1889 as an Oostzee Tjalk under the name Harmina. Baltic tjalks were built to function as sailing cargo ships: they sailed in an area stretching from the Baltic to northern France and England. At least in the 18th and 19th centuries, it was the workhorse and the jack-of-all-trades for transport on water in the Netherlands. They transported from manure to cattle and from grain to sand.
Lotus as a working vessel
Her last years as a working vessel took place in the 1970s, when she was used as a transhipment ship at the Koopmans factory in Leeuwarden. She had already lost her mast, because her only function was to transport flour from the big cargo ships through the smaller canals to the factory. In the winter of 1980 she suffered a leak during one of these transports and sank. She was resurfaced, but the damage was so extensive that she was scrapped.
Rescued from destruction
A sailing enthusiast spots the Lotus’ exceptionally beautiful construction when she is still halfway out of the water, waiting to be scrapped, and buys her. She will be returned to her original sailing condition, with mast and swords and space for passengers instead of cargo. Thus, in 1982, she was finally put back into service as an authentic sailing ship.
In 1996, Olaf bought her and sailed from Makkum and later from Harlingen with passengers on the Wadden area and the Frisian lakes.
Rebuild & Rename
In 2008, we decided to completely modernise the ship. This is in order to comply with all renewed safety regulations, but also to meet all requirements in terms of sailing technology and comfort for our guests. With great care to preserve the authentic characteristics of the ship.